It's official: Free Realms users can now play the game in one of six languages on any server. Creative Director Laralyn McWilliams told us this information exclusively last month, and we're happy to see the change has now been implemented in Free Realms.
So what does this mean for players? Well, it means Free Realms is now supported in French, German, Spanish (Castilian), Spanish (Latin American), English (UK) and English (US). For the first time in any SOE game, all of these languages will be supported on all servers. A server will be recommended for you that has the highest population of players speaking your preferred language, but every server will have players from all over the world enjoying the game together.
You can read the full announcement after the jump.
SAN DIEGO, Calif. – August 18, 2009 – Sony Online Entertainment LLC (SOE) today announced that gamers can play Free Realms™ in five new, fully-localized and supported languages: French, German, Spanish (Castilian), Spanish (Latin American) and English (UK). Originally launched in English (US) on April 28, 2009, Free Realms is a free-to-play, family-friendly online video game that has more than four million registered players engaged in the whimsical virtual world.
“With Free Realms, we constantly strive to lower the barrier to entry for gamers, and localized language support is another example of that,” said Andy Sites, senior producer, Sony Online Entertainment. “Now, gamers of all ages and regions can play together in any of the supported languages and enjoy the fully-localized voice over audio, in–game art, on-screen and web site content with ease.”
A first for SOE games, all existing and new players can play in any of the supported languages on any Free Realms server. Players can begin playing Free Realms in their language of choice by visiting the localized versions of www.FreeRealms.com where a server with the highest population of players playing in their preferred language will be recommended. Chat and profanity filters that support all languages have also been implemented. All languages have full customer service and community team support as well.
In Free Realms, players can customize their characters and play a wide variety of minigames in a safe, online environment, packed with stunning visuals, distinctive environments, and social networking capabilities. Fun for the entire family, players are free to do or be anything: Become a ninja, cook a yummy meal, battle goblins, set out on epic quests or connect with friends through a safe, social networking page. Free Realms also features a trading card game playable both digitally within the Free Realms online game and through a physical game available in the US wherever trading cards are sold!
Free Realms offers a variety of features, including:
• Free Gameplay: Free Realms is free to play; however, additional content can be accessed through a Membership or micro-transactions.
• Rich Character Creation: With thousands of customizations and combinations, you can blend fantasy and reality to create your perfect avatar.
• Be Whoever You Want: Characters aren’t locked into classes or jobs – you can be a ninja one minute and a race kart driver the next.
• Kid Safe: Free Realms is designed with kids’ safety in mind and has pre-canned chat, reporting, filters and Parental Controls that allow for the customization of security options for younger players.
• Something for Everyone: Players can take care of pets, sort mail, destroy cars in demolition derbies, battle goblins or cook meals for their friends.
• Vibrant, Deep Environment: Adventurous gamers can spend hours exploring towns, bustling cities, beaches, forests, snowy mountaintops and more.
• Connect with Friends: Whether you’re meeting up with old friends or finding new ones, Free Realms allows players to stay connected through its social networking page. Just log in, see what your friends have been up to, click their avatars and join them in Free Realms.
• Everyone Can Access: Free Realms is designed to run on nearly all PCs. The game will stream to your PC as you play, so Free Realms will not take up a lot of memory and will download quickly.
• Trading Card Game: The Free Realms Trading Card Game will let players pit fun characters like dragons and goblins against one another in fun, fast-paced combat. Half the game is collecting new cards so you are armed with the best lineup of attacks and defenses to prove your might in online tournaments.
Free Realms is rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and up with content descriptors of Crude Humor and Fantasy Violence. To play Free Realms, visit: http://www.FreeRealms.com.